Thursday, October 28, 2010

pumpkin seeds...and jackie 'O'


For Family Night this week, we did the annual pumpkin carving.  We did the usual...clean out the pumpkin, separate the seeds, and then roast them for yummy snacking.  I got busy with the seeds while Hubby worked on the carving with the kids.  I did what I normally do with the seeds:
1)  Soak them in water while trying to get all the pumpkin goop off
2)  Pat them dry and lay them on a baking sheet with olive oil
3)  Sprinkle with salt (lotsa salt)
4)  Bake at 325 for about 25 minutes
And this is what they looked like when I was done:

Then we started munching on them (they're so good warm!).  Hubby looked at me funny and asked why I was eating the whole seed with the shell instead of taking the shells off and eating only the seeds.  I got a question mark in my head and heard myself say, "huh?!"  In all my 30 years of life, I've never known that it's an option to take the shells off and just eat the seeds.  HELLO...that would have been nice to know.  Is it just me?!

The pumpkins turned out super cute too...this one is Jackie 'O'


Stay tuned for some pictures of my crazy good thrift store finds...

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea about the sheels eather. Maybe that's why I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhmmmmm....there is a choice? Really? Not in the house of Hollis there wasn't. Love you new blog and can't wait to read about the shopping finds. I am addicted to that also! I love blogging and if you want to take a look at mine:

    http://southerncomfortga.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-west-was-worn.html

    The background is horrible pink, but it has been breast cancer awareness month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no clue either. I guess Joseph picked that one up on his own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But they are a pain to shell, and they are good with the shells on, so.... Also, you can soak them in salt water, which makes them delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete